Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Bickersons' Family Vacation

Yee gads....for those of you who have little ones, enjoy them while you can.  One day,  (it will come sooner than you think, completely blindsiding you) they will be teenagers.  I distinctly remember a cute little girl with big brown eyes telling me in all earnestness:  "Mommy, I will never be a big ugly teenager."  She lied.  

We're on vacation in Pensacola Beach, Florida.  The girls didn't even have to travel down with us, instead being afforded the luxury of air travel.  Due to a miscommunication (translation:  John doesn't listen), the girls weren't available to leave on Friday, so John and I headed out on the 12-hour drive together.  Just the two of us.  In the car.  Together.  As much as I wish I had some funny stories to tell on John, it really wasn't bad.  We rolled into PB on Saturday mid-afternoon, checked into the condo, had a little beach time, then made our way to the airport to pick up Robin and Lily.  Robin was pretty excited because she met Jake from the Bachelorette at the Atlanta airport.  I don't watch the show, but if this guy is who the Bachelorette is NOT selecting, I can't imagine what those other guys are like!

Anyhoo, they arrive in a good mood and the first day goes well.  In retrospect, I should have known Lily was up to something because she was being particularly nice, wanting to take our picture together every five minutes. 

 Then she starts in on getting her tragus pierced.  John and I both say "no"...
Following that was a flurry of Facebook statuses that read:  
  • Robin Reyes honestly just wants to go home.  
  • Lily Reyes is p*ssed that she can't get her ear pierced.  
  • Robin Reyes' family is exhausting.  
Seriously.   We're on vacation with surf, sand and a great forecast.  How rough can their lives be?

Oh, I also heard a snide comment regarding John and I holding hands when we were walking on the beach:  "I don't know whether to jump for joy or puke."

6 comments:

Boozy Tooth said...

Puke and mess up that sugary sand? Noooo. Jump for joy, I tell ya. Jump like a madwoman.

I say go ahead and let Lily get her tragus pierced. I hear it is excruciating. That'll learn her.

Sarah K said...

i thought that said "peculiar" skin tag. let her get that pierced, instead. my friend had her's pierced and it was pain for 5 weeks.

hope the rest of the vaca was great! i'm jealous!

Facsimilee said...

Well, I don't know what to say. The little girls have grown up, huh? To make them feel worse about having to BE at the beach, I think you and John should suck face and re-enact the scene from that old movie where the man and woman are laying on the beach with the water going over them. I want to say it's "From Here to Eternity," that that might be a war movie. Well, it's the same thing, right? I say make her wait until next year!

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Alix: She's heard it's excruciating, but stills want to do it! argh!

Sarah K: I had to go back and read the labels again. I thought it said "peculiar" too!!!

Karen: It is indeed From Here to Eternity. The thought of me and John rolling around in the surf alternately frightening and hysterical! HAHAHAHAHA!

Unknown said...

I am SO late reading this (since you don't post often! had to get a jab in there. I don't either lol) anyway. This was very funny! I had the visual of the beach scene as soon as I read Karens comment then I read yours. I think you should have done it. Thanks for your comment. If you really want to go to a great resturant go to Arora, In to Applewood. Great food, great atmosphere on the river and you can go to the boats and gamble! I wish we would have gone there instead of Augusta, as far as the food was concerned. We visit Applewood every couple of months it's that good. (1 1/2 hour drive for us) Their breadpudding is to die for. Have a great week!

Lots in Samara Costa Rica said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica